How much is water on Earth?

Most of the water on Earth is in the ocean – in fact, nearly 97%. The remaining 3% is freshwater and is stored in ice sheets, ice caps and glaciers, groundwater, and surface water such as lakes and rivers. The majority of this freshwater is frozen and stored in the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets. Glaciers around the world are changing rapidly. In general, freezing and melting are a natural part of the water cycle, but for glaciers, more ice is melting each summer than falls as snow during the winter, and they are shrinking in size as a result. Glaciers also provide water resources, like drinking water, for downstream communities, but as the size of these glaciers changes, so too does this important resource.


Picture Credit : Google